Kechnec Industrial Zone is one of the best-prepared industrial zones in Slovakia. According to experts, it has the potential to create up to 15,000 jobs. Currently it employs more than 3,500 people. Moreover, the municipality plans to open a HITECH Park in the next 5 years which should support the production facilities operating in the Industrial Zone.
Several forms of cooperation within the scope of Industrial Zone and the prepared HITECH Park projects are viable:
- Financial partnership with the municipality of Kechnec (limited partnership with share capital, PPP project);
- Project management with the possibility of gradual transfer of the project to the investor subject to individual negotiations;
- Other types of partnership with the municipality of Kechnec (in-kind contributions and technology supply).
The total area of the Zone is 332 hectares:
- 80 ha for small and medium enterprises;
- 200 ha for strategic investors;
- 16 ha for the logistics centre;
- 36 ha for the HITECH Park.
- Electric power – 22 kV and 110 kV
- 6 transformer station at the park borders (each with power of 1MW)
- New electric station (capacity 80 MWA)
- Gas regulation station with capacity of 5 000 m3 / per hour, the semi-pressure networks within the park, high pressure at the park border
- Water source able to provide 63 liters per sec; two pipelines with diameter of 315 mm
- Network of drinking water with diameter 225 mm and network of industrial water with diameter 200 mm
- Sewage pipeline with diameter of 300, 500, 600 mm
- Capacity of waste water treatment plant is 12 000 equivalents; currently, there is app. 25 to 30% of capacity used
- Surface raining water canalization with capacity sufficient for the whole park area
- Sufficient number of phone lines and high speed internet connections
UNEMPLOYMENT, EDUCATION, MARKET ACCESS
- 400,000 people in productive age living within a 30 km radius
- 350 mil. people are only one day of truck driving away, markets of 13 countries within a 1,000 km radius
- Unemployment rate in the region is more than 19 %
- Young people study mainly at secondary schools and universities in Košice and Prešov. University education is offered by the Technical University in Košice (www.tuke.sk), University of Pavol Jozef Šafarik in Košice (www.upjs.sk), and the University of Veterinary Medicine in Košice (www.uvm.sk).
- Foreign investors and their families can enjoy the school for expats (www.qsi.org/ksc)
- Kechnec Industrial Zone is located app. 12 km from Košice, the second largest Slovak city; 0.5 km from the Hungarian border and some 100 km from Ukraine and Poland.
- Košice International Airport (www.airportkosice.sk) is located app. 12 km from the Industrial Zone, International Airport Budapest is in a distance of 200 km.
- The Industrial Zone is directly connected to the R4 expressway connecting Košice (Slovakia) and Miskolc (Hungary) and the European Highway System connection in Hungary is located some 60 km away from the borders of the Zone.
- There is a railway going through the municipality of Kechnec, connecting Poland,Slovakia and Hungary.
- Railway freight transportation to Ukraine requires access to a transfer point from the European standard gauge railway to the Eastern broad gauge railway. Such transfer point is located 3.5 km from Kechnec Industrial Zone.
COMPANIES LOCATED IN PARK:
- Magna PT – www.magna.com
- Kuenz-SK, s.r.o. – www.kuenz.com
- MARELLI KECHNEC SLOVAKIA – www.magnetimarelli.sk
- CROWN BEVCAN SLOVAKIA - www.crowncork.com.
- Schelling Slovakia, s.r.o. – www.schelling.sk
- GEFCO Slovakia – sk.gefco.net
- ALAS SLOVAKIA s. r. o. – www.alas.sk
- AVE SK odpadové hospodárstvo s.r.o. – www.avesk.sk
- Čamaj Transport, s.r.o.
- Evans, s.r.o.
- Henkel Slovensko spol. s.r.o.
On 27 August 2010, the groundbreaking ceremony in Kechnec, with government and National Highway Management Company (Národná diaľničná spoločnosť) representatives present, marked the official start of the construction of the 14 km long R4 expressway Košice – Milhosť stretch, which will connect the city of Košice with the Hungarian border. The stretch, worth almost EUR 78 mil, is being constructed by Skanska SK, a. s. The Košice – Milhosť stretch will include 14 bridges, two flyovers and almost 2 km long noise barrier. Completed transportation infrastructure will result in the increased attractiveness of the region of Eastern Slovakia for investors.